Monday, September 5, 2011

Not to get you down, or anything

Okay, so my last post was a little heavy.  But I felt like it was important to share some more serious thoughts.

Not that I don't have some lighter stuff to share.

For instance, today is Labour Day.  Which menas everything is closed except for Pharmaprix (pronounced "Far-mah-pree", not "pricks") and the gas station up the street that sells pretty much just booze, junk food, and lottery tickets.  (Don't worry, I don't play the lotto.)  So I think I wandered around for probably a total of two hours or so today looking for something to do.  (I ended up buying a copy of Forrest Gump, watching it, and heading out again for some canned peaches.  When I got home I ate the peaches.  And that's about it.)

The best thing about everything being closed is that you can walk around like a creep and stare at people but pretend you're just looking for a place that sells canned peaches.  Also if you stop to talk to a friendly groundhog no one will see you and think you're crazy. 

This groundhog ("marmotte") is pretty brave.  Or maybe he just smelled my fear of contracting rabies and that gave him a confidence boost.  He was hanging out by his hole in the lawn when I spotted him and stopped for a cautious chat.  At first he seemed a little weirded out by the attention, and he didn't say much, but after a while I got the sense that he was starting to like me.  There's a pet store on Sainte Marguerite.  Maybe they know what sort of treats I could buy for him. 

Or maybe it's a she.  Anyway, it needs a name. It's hard because I get the sense that it's a guy (he just kind of stares stupidly off into space when you're trying to talk to him), but "marmotte" is a feminine noun.  And I don't think I'll be getting close enough to find out for sure.  Any name ideas?

5 comments:

  1. hmm? Did you say something, Dear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you, Daddy. And you are a great listener.

    Perhaps the groundhog did not understand me because I was coo-cooing in English.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie la marmotte rings, or if male Henri le marmotte. If you want to get fancy add a Monsiuer o Mamselle. Loving your posts. I appreciate the mix of your critical and curious lens. Have you ever considered journalism?? Looking forward to reading more. Direz 'halo' a Mme o Monsiuer Marmotte por moi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, the Groundhog that lives under my porch loves Marsh mellows, he eats all the ones we put in the trap and still escapes (We're trying to get him out of the city and into the state park) Too smart he is...they also love green leafy veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyable posts Daegan. Keep up the great writing. Best of luck to you with you new adventure!
    With warm wishes from back home -- Mike, Chris, Lilly, Sarah, Jake.
    PS--thank goodness you're not playing the lotto! lol

    ReplyDelete