Sunday, October 2, 2011

Who all? You all.

So, one thing that they apparently do not have in England is a specifically pluralized form of`"you." 

They think that "you guys" is pretty funny, and "y'all" is even funnier.  And I use both.  (Which one I use depends on whether or not I`ve had anything to drink.)  So when I talk, they think it`s pretty funny.

But they don`t even say "who all" or "what all," either.

 Last night, we were hanging out at my flat and I asked Jo "Who all is coming?"
  She was confused.  "Who is Paul?"
"Huh?" 
"Who is Paul?"
"What? I don`t know."
"You said Paul is coming."
"What? No, no. I said `who all`is coming."
"Who all?"
"Yeah. Don`t you say that in England?"
"No."
"Or `what all`or anything like that?"
"No.  Is that like `y`all`? "
"Uh, yeah. I guess so."
"Y`all.  That`s funny."

But there are more differences.  Here are some words that are different in British Englsih (listed first) and American English:

Bathing costume = Swim suit
Car park = Parking lot
Fit = Hot (attractive)
Hot = Warm in temperature
Jumper = Sweater
Shattered = Exhausted
Knickers = Panties
Pants = Underwear
Trousers = Pants
Sweets = Candy
Trainers = Sneakers
Shag = Screw (The sexual term.  Not the construction one.  You wouldn`t want to say "I need to
                            shag in this broken table leg.")
Leisure = Leisure (But they say "leh-sure", not "lee-sure.")
Cinema = theater
? = The Man (I had to explain The Man.  They don`t think they have one, but of course they do. The
                          Man is everywhere.)


Can you all think of any other words that are different in one place than in another? Please comment.

6 comments:

  1. Flat = apartment! The first time you said that, I thought you meant a flat tire. I remember going to Ireland and telling some young men at the pub that my money was in my fanny pack. They about fell over laughing. I guess the word fanny is NOT appropriate in Europe. And in the southern US, shagging is dancing (it's like the jitterbug). Could get awkward if you and your Brit friends visit South Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From England: A rubber is an eraser, a bonnet is the part of the car you look under to see the engine, a fag is a cigarette, a biscuit is a cookie, and you can wear a tux to a fancy dress ball if you just tell everyone you're dressed as a swell. And in Kuwait, people would say "close the light" instead of turn it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom- I forgot that we don`t say that in America. I guess I`ve picked up on some Anglicisms. And I love the fanny pack story.

    Uncle Charles- what is a "swell" ?

    Also the Québecois say "for example" all the time, even when they aren`t giving an example. I keep waiting for the example, but it never comes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked at a summer camp with many counselors from England. I now tend to throw things in the bin (not a trash can).

    One of the girls always greeted me with the phrase "You all right Sheryl?" and it took a few days of odd replies to discover it was her version of our "Hi, how are you?" and that I didn't have to answer.

    Oh, also learned that if you pull someone, that person is attracted to you in a sexual or romantic way.

    (sheryl)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha! So that's what "pulling" means....Thanks, Sheryl! I've been hearing that too, but I was too embarrassed at my lack of English skills to ask the girls what they were talking about!

    ReplyDelete